My Life – A Work in Progress

Published by Scott on

This post, published on August 10, 2010, is an edited version of the blog post, In my life. The original post has been taken down.

A Youthful Story (circa the late 1960s to early 1970s)

my-life- primary hospital

Have you ever done things during your life that were not as honest as they should have been? It was many years ago when I was 17 or 18 years old. I worked as a messenger for a children’s hospital. The hospital is at the top of the Avenues in Salt Lake City, Utah. The hospital is on 12th Avenue; that was as high as the Avenues went in those days.

Anyway, my job was to transport patients and supplies from one building to another, and I would haul patients to whatever other hospitals they needed to go to get the treatment they required. I took samples that needed testing to the appropriate lab and pick up any reports that were ready to be returned to the appropriate doctor. When the patients completed their procedure, I would take them back to their point of origin.

My duties included taking the food trays to the floors so the kids could eat. When they finished eating, I would haul the food carts back down to the kitchen. My job kept me busy all day. I didn’t get paid very much, but it was enough to get by on. There was no health insurance in those days, so if you become ill, you could usually find a sympathetic doctor nurse to get you through your illness.

Moving Out

I was a loud guy in those days; I did what I did for work because I liked to eat and have a place to live. Living on my own was not wholly my idea. Fred told me to leave my family home on my 18th birthday I was told that I had 24 hours to get my stuff out of the house or it would be sent to the trash or given to charity or something, During that time period I didn’t have a lot of trusted friends, so I made some decisions, found a place to live, and moved my belongings out of my parents’ house. My move in the 24-hour time frame was successful.

In My Life


The first place I lived on my own was a boarding house on the corner of 1100 east and Second South. I get away from the facts of my employment in my previous paragraph; I did work for a children’s hospital, but not until a little later in my life. During the time I lived at the boarding house, I worked for a hamburger stand on the corner of 1300 East and Simpson Avenue. “Mister S.” I think it was a prototype for Burger King, but I’m not sure about that.

Friends and Jobs

During the following year, I made many friends, and lived in many places and situations, and tried my hand at many jobs. Making ends meet occasionally was not a high priority for me at that time. I lived with different people for a time and took advantage of their hospitality. Then something better would come along and away I would go to a new adventure.

For a while in my life, I lived-in the Hawthorn House apartments on the corner of First Avenue and C Street. MY apartment number was “3G” it was a one-room studio on the third floor that had a big bay window that looks out onto the roof of a church. I started meeting new and exciting people while I lived there.

The Bar

I would meet them at work, and we would become friends; remember the time frame for all of this was the late sixties and early seventies. Hippies and disco were the trends of the day. I started hanging out at a bar call Radio City on Main street between First and Second south. I think the bar is still there. The music attracted me to the bar. They had a jukebox with huge speakers that would make the walls rattle, and they played the best dance music in town. The Radio City was the only dace bar in the city at that time. Others came on the scene rapidly, but Radio City was home to many of Salt Lake Cities wilder young adults.

Good Times in My Life

I made friends in that bar. I’m getting off the subject. Going back to the apartment where I lived in apartment 3G, some rather exciting situations developed in my life. There were two girls, sisters, and I remember that I lived down the hall. We became friends, and I would spend time at their place drinking and maybe smoking a little pot and having a good time all-around. These small parties became quite regular as everyone wanted to show off their newest album.

The Party

Celia invited me over to a small party to preview some new music. The girls were there, but they had also invited a young man that was into bodybuilding. He is well developed muscularly. Not knowing it at the time, I was being set up. The drinks and joints flowed freely, and everyone was having a good time.

Floor Show

During a particular energetic tune, the muscle builder began doing poses to expose his well-developed muscles. He took off his shirt and trousers leaving only a jockstrap to cover his nakedness, and He started doing his routine, posing, exposing large biceps triceps gluteus maximus all of the muscleman show. Everyone was watching me, too see if I was having a good time. I was, but I wasn’t sure where this show was going to take me, and I was a little nervous. I soon found out, Celia, I call the girl Celia because that is the name of a Paul Simon recording we used to listen to a lot, invited me down to my room to smoke a joint in private.

Indiscretion in My Life

The joint was not what she had on her mind. Celia wanted to have sex with me. She didn’t care about smoking pot or doing anymore drinking; she wanted to have sex. Celia was a big girl with big bosoms and wanted to get started right away. The result, I found out later, was she got pregnant. I never really saw, here again, to party with, and I think she and her sister moved out of the building. Later on, about ten months, Celia looked me up and introduced me to my daughter. Celia didn’t want me to marry her or anything like that; she just wanted to let me know I was a father.

%d bloggers like this: